I found this scrumptious recipe at "The Food Lovers Primal Palate". I love this blog and their recipes look amazing. I really wanted to make a grain-free cake that was a real crowd pleaser and this cake was it!!! Who could pass up a dark chocolate cake topped with nuts, dark chocolate ganache and then frosted with whipped cream?! Not only was this a hit with the adults the kids loved it too! If my kid likes it then you know its good.
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup melted pasture butter
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (for dark chocolate flavor use 3/8 cup)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate ( use green&black 80% for best flavor)
- 2 heaping spoon fulls of coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3/4 cup organic heavy whipping cream
- 2 tble honey
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to bake at 350.
- In a large mixing bow, combine eggs, honey, pasture butter, and vanilla. Blend with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add coconut flour, cacao powder, salt, and baking soda to the bowl, and continue to blend until batter is smooth.
- Grease a 8 inch or 9 inch round cake pan with coconut oil.
- Pour batter into the pan, and smooth the top with a spatula (this is a thick batter, so you will have to work with it slightly.)
- Bake chocolate cake for 30-35 minutes, and remove from oven to cool.
- Melt chocolate chips on low heat, stirring often.
- When chocolate is completely melted, add in the coconut oil, and stir until all is combined.
- Remove from heat.
- Once cake is cooled top with chopped nuts then pour melted chocolate over cake.
- Place cake in the refrigerator till chocolate has been set.
Whipped Cream Frosting
- Whip heavy cream in a kitchen mixer until stiff and fluffy, slowly adding in honey.
- Fold in the coconut flakes.
Final Cake Assembly
- Remove cake from fridge, and top with the whipped frosting.
- Garnish with a drizzle of left over chopped chocolate or ganache and flaked coconut.
- Keep refrigerated until served.