Monday, January 9, 2012

Three new recipes that are to die for!

  
  I have been busy, busy, busy, cooking up a storm in this house! Doing the 30 day Paleo challenge has been a lot of fun due to some delicious meals we have been creating.  First on the list, is well my personal favorite, bacon wrapped Elk.  Yup that's right.  Bacon. Wrapped. Elk.  I had scored some Elk back strap from a friend and I really hope she can get some more.  Let me tell that was so delicious I could eat Elk for the rest of my life.  I am drooling just thinking of it!

  Bacon wrapped Elk
  • 1 lb. of Elk back strap
  • 1 Tble Liquid Smoke
  • 1 Tble Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1/2 lb. thick cut Bacon 
In a bowl combine liquid smoke, worcestershire sauce and black pepper.  Marinate Elk in sauce for 30 min.  My Elk was already cut for me but I do suggest slicing them into 2 inch wide pieces (1/4 inch thick).   Preheat oven to 350.  Precook bacon till the ends start to curl up or till the meat looks slightly cooked.  Once Elk is marinated wrap one or two slices in one piece of bacon.  Place the opening on bottom.  Bake for 20 minutes, then turn broiler on low.  Cook till bacon starts to brown. Flip and brown other side. Serve and Enjoy!


  My family and I have been on a bacon kick, as you are about to find out.  The next recipe is so good I want to make other versions of this.  Apple Bacon Stuffed Burgers.  I find that the apple, bacon filling didn't stay in the patty as well as I hoped it would but, nonetheless it was still very delicious. 

Apple Bacon stuffed Burgers
  • 1 lb. grass fed organic ground Beef
  • 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 Tble dried Rosemary
  • 2 tsp dried Sage
  • 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
  • 1 Apple, cored and diced
  • 1/2 lb. thick cut organic Bacon
  In a bowl combine spices and the ground beef.  Set aside.
  Cut bacon into small pieces and cook in a pan till the edges curl.  At this time add the diced apples.
  Once apples and bacon are done, make an even amount of burger patties.  Stuff two patties with the apples and bacon.  Make sure to seal the edges closed (mine didn't work).  Cook patties till done to your preference.  Top with left over apple bacon mixture and a sliced avocado. 


   Last but certainly not least is my Chicken Curry.  Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of this meal.  I do have to say it was one of my best curry dishes I have put together so far.  Curry has been a challenge for me over the years. I l.o.v.e. curry! I have been trying to create an authentic tasting one but it still has not yet happened.  Someday I will achieve my goal!  For now I will just stick to what I know and experiment till it get it.  I really wanted to make a quick dish last night and I of course was craving curry (like always).   Looking in my cabinets and the refrigerator I saw that I did have the ingredients to make a yummy meal.  

Quick Chicken Curry
  • 1 1/2 lbs. Chicken breast, chopped into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 Tble Coconut oil
  • 1 Yam, chopped into small pieces
  • 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp fresh Ginger minced
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped Mushrooms
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1vtsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp powdered Ginger
  • 1 tsp powdered Mustard Seed
  • 3 Tble Curry power
  • 1 Tble Turmeric powder
  • 1 Tble dried Cilantro flakes
  • 7 strokes of Nutmeg on grater
  • 1 cup Coconut milk (full fat)
  In a cast iron skillet heat up 1/2 of the coconut oil.  Add chicken and all spices.  Cook till done, place in bowl and set aside.
  I rinsed out my pan and added the remaining bit of coconut oil.  Cook yams till slightly tender and add in onion, garlic and ginger. Cook till onions are translucent and yams are soft.  Add chicken back in with mushrooms.  When the mushrooms have turned slightly darker add in the coconut milk.   Warm through and serve on a bed of spinach.
  I hope you all will enjoy these recipes.  I know my family and I have.  Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment